Decades Of Experience In Real Estate And Land Use Litigation
Real estate disputes have the potential to derail transactions, delay projects, undermine property values and turn neighbors into enemies. Prompt intervention can be beneficial to all parties by avoiding the expense and disruption of litigation. But some conflicts can only be resolved through the courts, in which case you need an attorney who can capably protect your interests.
I have over 45 years of experience in real estate and land use law, including litigation and appeals. My Salt Lake City practice, The Law Office of E. Barney Gesas PLLC, serves businesses and commercial landlords, developers and builders, real estate brokers, homeowners and governmental entities throughout Utah and the western United States. While I am veteran trial lawyer who has prevailed in big cases, I first exhaust out-of-court remedies to resolve conflicts as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
Resolving Disputes In Real Estate And Development
My experience covers the spectrum of real estate law and litigation, representing plaintiffs and defendants in:
- Real estate transactions, representing buyers and sellers in lawsuits over breach of contract, fraud or nondisclosure
- Commercial lease disputes, advocating for landlords or commercial tenants in disputes over renewals, lease violations, evictions, collections and damage deposits. NOTE: I do not handle residential or apartment landlord tenant issues.
- Quiet title actions to settle disputes over clear title or encumbrances such as liens
- Boundary disputes over lot lines, easements or encroachments
- Adverse possession lawsuits asserting access or usage rights
- Eminent domain, including lawsuits for inverse condemnation and litigation of fair market value compensation
- Land use and zoning litigation at the municipal, county and state levels: rezoning, permitting and conditional use, setbacks, ordinance violations, etc.
I Know Real Estate Law From Every Angle
I am an AV-rated* attorney who has been named multiple times to The Best Lawyers In America for both real estate litigation and land use and zoning litigation. My long experience includes serving as special assistant attorney general on behalf of UDOT (Utah Department of Transportation) in highway right-of-way acquisitions and condemnation proceedings, which involved multimillion-dollar claims for severance damages. I also have experience on both sides of state and federal appeals of regulatory decisions and land use litigation.
Get Proven And Professional Counsel
I offer a free initial one-hour consultation, by phone or in-person. After exploring your situation together, I will recommend an action plan and estimate of services. Gesas Law Firm offers flexible payment arrangements including hourly fixed-rate and blended-rate options. Call my Salt Lake City office at 801-447-1149 to schedule an appointment or contact me online.